[Vim-vms] VFC files truncated

Arpadffy Zoltan Zoltan.Arpadffy at scientificgames.se
Mon Oct 1 09:45:10 CEST 2007

Hello,

I have investigated the issue and seems that the HP C RTL has a bug.
I will report this to HP to get some help.

In fact open()-read() functions do not read the VFC files to the EOF in
some cases.

SYS$QIO functions behave well - but I do not plan to replace all low
level file access functions to QIO.

It helps if open() gets a "ctx=bin" parameter, but this is not the
solution either, because in that case Vim does not understand really the
line delimiters.

It is interesting that Emacs behaves on the very same way as Vim -
because Emacs uses as well Unix portable open/read functions.

What can we do?

1. mark "VFC files truncated" as a known major issue
2. ask HP for a work-a-round and/or report C RTL error
3. test "ctx=bin" behaviour with other FAB/RFM/RAT combinations with Vim
4. correct binary writing to file for VFC files (done, patch not issued
yet)
5. investigate more about Vim EOL delimiter functionality.

As I can see now, there are two possibilities to solve the problem:
I) use 2) and 4)
II) use 3), 4), 5)

I will post updates here regarding this topic.

Regards,